Friday, October 17, 2008

Week 32 To 33

Friday, 32+1
We went for a growth scan and antenatal check-up yesterday and I'm so happy to say that the baby has finally turned into a head down position. The doctor said that while she hasn't actually engaged yet, she is nestled very well into my pelvis so doesn't believe that she will turn back out to breech position. It looks like she's finally getting ready to meet the world! I could have sworn that she was still breech as I had something hard stuck under my ribs which I assumed was a head but actually it's her bottom. All she needs to do now is rotate around so her spine is over to the left side rather than the right for the optimal type of birth - anterior. If she remains with her spine on the right side then she has to rotate around during labour which can make for a longer duration and also more painful contractions. I've read that staying as upright as possible and sitting on a birth ball will help to encourage her to move into optimal position.

The baby is measuring well, totally in proportion, and even the head has caught up with the rest of her now. The doctor said that now she's moved out of breech position where her head was getting wedged under my ribs the head has returned to normal size and shape rather than being squashed up. She is measuring about 5 days ahead of schedule. We got a very clear look at her face this time due to her new position and she is beautiful! We watched her open and close her eyes, yawn, then stick her tongue out and lick the umbilical cord! It was amazing to watch and I have to say she has the chubbiest cheeks I think I've seen!

Here is a photo of her from the scan. The image quality isn't very good as it's a photo taken from the printed out picture using my crappy camera on my phone!

32 Week Scan

My blood pressure was completely normal again and my urine sample was clear. As far as weight gain goes I was dreading it after gaining 4kgs last month, but this month I'm delighted to say I've only gained 1.5kg! All in all it was a very good appointment. I have one more antenatal appointment scheduled for 3 weeks time where they'll do a final growth scan, check the lie of the baby, scan the cervix to see if it is opening and softening ready for labour, take a swab sample to check for Group B Strep and check the function of the placenta. I think I also get a shot of anti-d as I'm rhesus negative and Chris is positive. My summary report will also be prepared for the hospital ready for admission.

No comments: