Thursday, July 10, 2008

Week 18 to 19

Thursday 18+0
Almost at the half way stage! Still haven't felt much in the way of movement, well, nothing convincing yet. A strange thing just happened though. I was lightly massaging around the edge of my bump and found like a small hard lump which I can only imagine is a body part! I got Chris to feel and he felt the lump and then it moved away while he rubbed his hand over it. I think he was a little freaked out by it though! I can't imagine what else it would be so I'm assuming it was either our little ones head or foot!

Monday 18+4
I haven't had the best of weekends. I woke up on Saturday morning feeling fine, had my breakfast and was sitting on the sofa when I suddenly felt very chilled right through and had stomach cramps. I went to the bathroom where I had the start of a stomach upset. I didn't know at this point if it was a bug or food poisoning. I think I had to rush to the loo 7 times in one hour and was getting a little freaked out at this point as I was so worried about the well being of the baby. I called my husband at work and he came home to try and help me. I got him to call the doctor and explain what was happening. The doctor said it sounded like a bug as Chris was fine and we'd eaten the same foods. He prescribed a powder to take to stop me going to the loo all the time, fluid replacement and a mild pain reliever to ease the stomach cramps.

I started to feel better quite quickly, within an hour actually, as I think my symptoms were being aggravated by increasing anxiety. It's amazing what a bit of reassurance from a doctor can do! He said it didn't matter if I didn't eat for a couple of days, the baby would be fine, as long as I kept up my fluid intake and stayed hydrated. I managed to get through loads of water and fluid replacement solution that day and when I listened to the baby on the doppler her heartbeat was strong and steady.

I made the mistake of eating some cereal before bed as I was so hungry but in hindsight dairy wasn't the best idea. I got up early Sunday morning needing the toilet again and then again a couple of hours later. Thankfully that seemed to be the last of it and I stuck to toast, dry bread and pasta for the rest of the day.

Today I feel a lot better but am concerned about introducing foods too quickly. I had toast for breakfast as I'm thinking it best to avoid dairy for another day or so. I'm taking calcium supplements instead to ensure the baby is getting an adequate supply. I'm also still taking antenatal vitamins so hopefully they should be providing her with anything else she is missing from my diet. I do worry though as I know this is the period of rapid growth for a baby and I want her to have all the nutrients she needs.

On the positive side I have been feeling more flutters in my tummy and even what I think is little kicks. I was laying down last night and felt a small kick, where my stomach twitched out and then felt movement under my hand where it had come from. I really hope this is her and not just my insides playing me up!

No comments: