Thursday, November 6, 2008

Week 35 To 36

Thursday, 35+0
I'm just back from the final ob/gynae appointment before I am signed over to the hospital. We had a full scan of the baby to check her growth, blood flow through the brain, umbilical cord and placental function. She is growing really well and on schedule for her due date. She is currently weighing in at an estimated 6lbs 2oz which if she continues on this growth trend would be an estimated birth weight between 8 and 8.5lbs. She appears to be really healthy with adequate blood flow to the brain and through the umbilical cord. The doctor said the placenta is in very good condition and looks like a 20 week placenta still, so no problems there.

We had a really good look at her face and she is so beautiful. Even the doctor commented on what a pretty face she has. He checked the lie of the umbilical cord and it is clear of her neck so he doesn't envisage any problems for delivery. Also her head is clear of the placenta so it all looks straightforward for a normal vaginal birth. I have a good level of amniotic fluid still so haven't been losing any. The AFI score is about 18 which is towards the upper end of the scale but still within the normal range. Anything above 22 is cause for concern. The doctor was amazed that she had her hands clasped together with her fingers interlocking like she was praying. He said in all the scans he's done, he's only ever seen this about two other times as it's not a standard function for a fetus to perform. He joked that we maybe have a religious leader in the making - she must get that from the Murphy side of the family!

Upon initial examination the doctor thought that she was 3/5 engaged as her head is very deep in my pelvis but when he manually checked the cervix he said she wasn't engaged at all yet, just getting in position ready. Apparently my cervix is still unripened so not looking like an early delivery. I had a swab sample taken for Group B Strep and will get the results in a few days. Also I had a shot of anti-d to counteract the rhesus -ve factor. My blood pressure was within the normal range of 134/81 and I've only gained 1.4kgs. We've decided that I will go back to see the doctor at 39 weeks just to check the baby is engaged. In the meantime I will get my blood pressure checked weekly in the local pharmacy. The doctor was very happy with my health, the pregnancy so far and the health of the baby, so right now it's all looking good!

Photobucket

Photobucket

35 Week Scan

35 Week Scan
Her religious experience!

35 Week Scan

35 Week Scan

Monday, 35+4
Yesterday Chris and I attended an active birthing workshop with two other couples from our antenatal classes. It was a three hour workshop where we covered all the helpful positions from early labour, through the second stage, to delivery. It was full of useful information about how your partner can support you physically and mentally, massage techniques etc. It was a great course run by a very good friend of ours who is also going to be present throughout labour and at the birth too. She made it sound so easy and basic - if only! I'm finding I have far more confidence now in the run up to the birth as I feel I'm as prepared as I'm ever going to be. Must finish packing that hospital bag though! I think between her with her knowledge and earth mother approach and Chris' laid back attitude, I will hopefully be headed for a calm, natural experience. If only it didn't have to take place in the hospital I'd be even happier, but I guess there is something a little exciting about going and "checking-in"!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I cant believe you are so nearly full term already! Have been following you since very early in your TTC journey when I was pregnant with my daughter - who is now nearly 16 months old! And now it is so nearly your turn, I am so excited for you!

Glad that your check up/scan etc all went really well, and I am loving your artistic bump piccies!

Good luck for the coming weeks - Wont be long now and you will have your beautiful Isabella Daisy in your arms just in time for her first chrsitmas! I will be keeping my eye on Dec 2008 board for your BA!!!!

Caryl and Chloe (carylmonkey/chloebear from babycentre)
Bishboshweightloss.blogspot.com

Ellie B said...

Thanks so much Caryl! I often wonder who reads my blog as I have around 650 views a month, but never any comments lol! So thank you! I hope all is well with you and Chloe.

Ellie

Unknown said...

I find the same thing with my blog - have been doing my blog now for months and didnt have a clue if anyone was reading it! I have 2 "followers" now though - very exciting!!! How do you know how many people are viewing your blog? would love to know that!

Ellie B said...

I signed up for a google adsense account to put the ads on the page, and there's a section in your account that shows you how many times per day/month/all-time that your page has been viewed. Hope that helps.

I'll check out your blog too!

Unknown said...

Ohhh fab thanks!