Thursday, November 13, 2008

Week 36 To 37

Thursday, 36+0
I can't believe that at the end of this week I will be classed as full-term! Rather scary to think that our little lady could be putting in an appearance any time onwards from then. We really do have so much to sort out before she arrives. Tomorrow we're going to take a trip to Gibraltar to get the last of the things we need for the hospital bag and odds and ends of baby bits. Our car is still in the garage and it looks like we're facing a rather large repair bill. We have to find a new apartment between now and the next couple of weeks also, as we've out grown this one. So much to do, so little time.

Anyway, I had some good news today from the doctor. I got the results of my Group B Strep test back and thankfully it was negative. I am so relieved as if it was positive then we were looking at a bit of a problem. They administer antibiotics in labour to help protect the baby from Strep B as it passes through the birth canal, but I'm allergic to the main three groups they use to treat it. This meant they were going to have to send a culture off to the lab and try and cross match it with something safe for me to take. If not, they were talking about a c-section as it would have been the safest way to get the baby out without causing any risk of the infection. Strep B is particularly dangerous to newborns, so to say I'm relieved I don't have it is an understatement!

I have made one more appointment with my doctor when I reach 38 weeks to check and see if the baby is engaged. He initially said to wait until 39 weeks but I've been stressing a little about this since my appointment last week. Because I'm carrying towards the upper level of fluid there is always a risk that the baby can't engage properly and if the waters then go before engagement there is always a risk of cord prolapse, particularly if the waters go in a gush rather than a trickle. So, we're going to have a check in two weeks and if still no engagement then we'll discuss what to do next.

No comments: