Saturday, April 25, 2009

4 month jabs/check up and catch up

I know I'm a bit behind updating again but we have been busy with visitors the last week. Bella's grandparents came over and we've just dropped them off at the airport. She had a lovely time with them and I think her grandad is her new best friend! Anyway, Bella had her jabs and health check last week and is doing so well. She now measures 65cms in length and weighs 14lb 9oz. She was great with the jabs also and fell asleep straight after. The doctor suggested we start introducing a little baby rice, pureed fruits and cereal this month so we have started on a few spoonfuls of baby rice for her tea and a little cereal in the morning. She seems to love it and her little legs start kicking in excitment when she sees the bowl and spoon and she opens her mouth ready for it. We're going to introduce some pureed apple and pear next week. She is sleeping really well at night now and is going for about 11 hours overnight. She is teething again though so is having a few problems with them.

In the last week she has perfected rolling over from her back to her tummy and is also trying to pull herself to sit up on her own. Quite a way to go yet, but she is making great progress. She has a new sound and makes an "mmmmmm" sound over and over and over again...!

4 comments:

myki said...

Please help me? How do I get my baby (your Bella is a few days older than my Cara) to sleep 11 hours? She used to be able to do it up until about 6 weeks ago. Since then she is awake every 2-3 hours for a feed. I am desperate.

Ellie B said...

Hi Marisca. I figure if she did it once she can probably do it again, however this age there is a particularly large growth spurt that happens so this might be the reason she is waking so much. Bella did the same for a few nights. Is she waking for food or just for comfort? If it's for food then maybe you could try what we did and introduce a few spoons of milky baby rice with her early afternoon feed. Maybe try it and see what happens. Since we did that Bella went back to sleeping through. When the growth spurt was over (it lasted 3 weeks!) I tried a couple of days of just her milk and no baby rice, and guess what...she started waking again. So, we're back on the baby rice. I'm not planning on weaning properly for at least another month, but see the baby rice as a little extra supplement. Hopefully it will work for you.

If it's waking for comfort then I'm not too sure to be honest. Let me know and I'll try and come up with a few suggestions for you.

Take care

myki said...

Thanks for your advice. I did indeed try the milky baby rice and it did not work for Cara. Her stomach is still too delicate for solids. As a matter of fact, she woke up even more when she had the cereal. I decided to stop the supplement feeding and the very first night she slept through. I was so happy, I thought that everything was back to normal. However, it only lasted 2 nights and she was back to waking up every 2-3 hours. Last Thursday I couldn't take it any more and phoned my mother-in-law. My husband and I needed a break since we were starting to take out our moods (due to serious sleep deprivation!!!) on one another. My mother-in-law was all too happy to babysit and in our absense of course, she applied her version of "tough love". Cara slept through until 07:15 the next morning. I was elated. Since then I have her in a strict routine where I lay her down to sleep when she is still awake and I don't pick her up again. She is now waking up once (at 03:00) when I feed her (it only takes 6 minutes!!!) and then I lay her down. She falls asleep on her own, sometimes talking to herself for a while, and then wakes up again at 07:00. I have managed to keep this up for a week now and I sincerely hope that it will last. I came to the conclusion that my little sweetheart was indeed manupilation my husband and I and she knew she could get away with it. I will keep you up to date and let you know how long this lasts.

Keep well and enjoy Bella. Good luck with the teething process. I am still waiting for the first "dreaded" tooth.

Marisca

Ellie B said...

That's great news that she is sleeping through again, well, apart from the one feed but I find one is not too bad! Sounds like she maybe had herself in a bit of a habit with the waking. With Bella it was definitely food related and she's now back to sleeping 11-12 hours a night.

I think a good routine is so worth sticking with. We've had a routine for as long as I can remember and I think it makes the baby feel more secure. Bella has always been great at self settling, but it is a good habit to teach them if you can.

We're having napping issues at the moment where she wakes herself up after 30 mins in the day. You could set your watch by her! Hoping it's just another phase but may have to have a rethink on this!

Look after yourself and Cara and enjoy your new found sleep!

Ellie